Sunday 26 April 2015

Ace Yo' Base #3 - The Primer Edit

You may remember a small segment I started called Ace Yo' Base. Well it's back for the Primer Edit! I love primers, which might seem like a weird makeup prodcut to love because it's not like they're pretty or anything but I do love them. I think it's because without them, my skin can very easily become an oil slick. Here are some of my top primer picks.

1. Face of Australia HD Primer* ($13.95)

One of the first primers that I ever used was from Face of Australia so I was super excited to try this new(ish) offering. The HD Primer is silicone based, oil free and designed to "even out skin texture and reduces the appearance of fine lines and large pores for a velvety smooth finish". I was expecting something similar to the Maybelline Baby Skin but this primer is a LOT more full on. You only need to use a very small amount as more than that will result in your makeup sliding right off your face. I think this will work a lot better for girls with dry skin because even though it's oil free, it's very slick and the advertised velvety finish can quickly turn greasy. I like to use just a little on the drier places on my skin to give me a little extra glow. 

2. Benefit's Porefessional* ($53.00)

I have a very unfortunate forehead wrinkle that's been the bane of my existence for the pat few months. I've found my makeup starting to crease up and wear away very quickly along that wrinkle and Porefessional is the only thing that helps fill it in. I also like to add a dab around my nose where my pores are particularly obvious and I find that it gives a really nice base for my makeup. Like the FOA HD Primer, a little goes a long way and too much will mean your makeup doesn't wear as well as it should. A smidge of this magical stuff is more than enough.

3. Rimmel Stay Matte Primer ($13.95)

Unlike the other two, you can slather this stuff on because it looks and feels more like a slightly thick moisturiser. It gives the skin a nice, smooth, matte appearance and helps your makeup stay matte (as the name suggests) for longer. This is potentially my favourite primer of all time!

4. Almay Smart Shade Perfect & Correct Primer ($25.95)

I picked this one up on a bit of an impulse as I really liked the swirly design of the product inside the bottle. It reminds me of the Stila one but at a fraction of the cost. The purple and green pigments give some colour correction and I find this primer gives a slightly dewy finish. I mostly like a matte finish but for certain foundations, I like to go for more of a glowy look.
What's your favourite primer?

Dani xo

8 comments:

Katina Lindaa said...

I'm loving Maxfactors Face Finity All Day Primer at the moment :)
I feel like when I use porefessional my makeup sometimes doesn't apply as nicely which is super weird! x


www.katinalindaa.com

Tasha said...

Great post! I still haven't tried the FOA one actually! It sounds quite nice though. I used to rarely use primer and have not very many, now I have heaps and use it pretty often haha.

Tasha // shiwashiful.

Dani - KaBOOM! Cosmetics said...

I've been using a little sample of Face Finity recently too and I've been pretty impressed. I never use Porefessional as an all-over primer, only as a spot primer so I've never had an issue with it.

Dani - KaBOOM! Cosmetics said...

Definitely give it a go! I'm the same, I never used to use primer but now I've got a pretty impressive collection!

Kate Flint said...

Great picks! I am keen to try the Almay one. I've been using the NYX Photo Professional Primer which is meant to be a knock off of the Smashbox Primer.


Kate | themintedbeauty.com

Dani - KaBOOM! Cosmetics said...

I've actually got a weeny sample of the Smashbox one but I think the NYX is just as good....if not better because it's cheaper!

Sarah Foote said...

I really love that Rimmel primer too! It's super good at keeping you matte all day! I have personally been obsessed with the Face of Australia HD primer as well! I find that it is so nice!!! So silky and smooth and works perfect for my combo skin. I think I like it better than the original one! The Almay one looks like a dupe for the Stila One Step Correct which I love!!! The Bourjois Happy Light Luminous primer is a great one as well! I am a primer addict! It is my favourite makeup product. I am not sure why I just love them!!!

Sarah | Bows & Pleats

Dani - KaBOOM! Cosmetics said...

Primers are kind of a weird product to love because it's not like they're glamorous or anything but I adore them! I've been meaning to try out the Stila one but it's a little too pricey for me right now and the Bourjois one is also on my list. We obviously both have excellent taste ;)

Post a Comment

 

KaBOOM! Cosmetics Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger